Monday, December 21, 2009

YA Trend Analysis

If you, like me, are an avid YA reader, you might have noticed some new titles in the shelves at your nearest Borders or Barnes & Nobles. Yes... that's right. Vampires are slowly being taken over by angels, those curiously ethereal and fascinating religious figures. Even Kristen Nelson, agent and avid blogger agrees - just look at this post. It's enough to make anyone who has an angel manuscript lying around cringe and bite their nails nervously.

Sadly, I am one of those desperate writers. I've left my NaNo '08 novel lying in a corner after I tore through it and despaired of any writing talent I possessed. I aim to get back to it eventually, of course. I'm simply procrastinating. But damn it, I will get that out. Most definitely. Yeah. Sure. Uh huh. All right, all right... I'm going to need some prodding, no doubt. But still. It's a trilogy. I want to get out a single book first, right? Right?

With books like "Fallen" and "Hush, Hush" slowly absorbing space in the YA spots, I'm going to need to hurry if I want to ride this trend out. So, you want to have the next Twilight? Get your crappy angel novel out soon - oh yes, don't forget to have horrible writing and annoying characters who only call themselves angels. They're not, really.

The only thing that comforts me is that all this angel crap is taking the "Oh, look at me, I'm a fallen angel going to fall in love with a girl" angle. I am not taking that angle, no way. I'd have to work hard to find a mortal character in my book. And it will be awesome.

Reference List of Current Works

  • The Senses - Began this one Thanksgiving of eighth grade. I actually really liked it. Should finish it, I'm only 40 pages in. Planned trilogy.
  • Tarnished Angels - NaNoWriMo novel of 2008. Finished, around 54,000 words. Stuffed it away when I actually read it. Now I want to completely rewrite it. That's depressing. Planned trilogy, then stand-alone, then...:?
  • The Invisibles - NaNoWriMo novel of 2009. Finished at 75,000 words. Letting it sit before I rip into it anew. Stand alone, with possible prequel/late sequel.
So, that's all for me... Off to write the Next Great Angel Novel. :D

- BEG

3 comments:

  1. Verdammt.
    Avens are too much like angels for comfort.
    Though I find the concept of angel fiction a bit odd. It seems like none of them resemble actual angels, which are messengers in Abrahamic religions. (Some other religions have things that are sometimes termed angels, but these are really mistranslations of independent concepts.) I have a hard time imagining creatures that are literally sexless being in young adult fiction. Romance isn't, you know, possible.
    But whatever. This is much more distressing than vampires.
    (On a side note: Maximum Ride? Do they count? Even though the last few books have been preachy garbage, Max and co. have the action young adult market.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aha! I've noticed that too!
    Not to mention, angels are also taking over the big screen. I went to the movies and one of the previews was for a movie about a fallen angel.
    And here I was about to go and write an angel novel. Yikes!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aah, I'm writing an angel novel. Actually I came up with the idea just before reading Kristin Nelson's post.
    And I don't care. Grr. It's my novel, and whatever anyone says, it's original.
    *Sigh*
    I hate trends.

    Nice post, shredder!

    - Nanoer

    ReplyDelete